As we have had to deal with winter storm Izzy, we thought we would reflect on some necessary winter items to store in your car. During this time of year, you expect heaps of snow in Toronto. To prevent accidents, getting stuck in the snow, or any other unanticipated events this winter, you should try to store some of these emergency items in your car.
- Ice scraper - Snow and ice can significantly decrease your visibility while driving, which is why it's important to keep these items on hand. If you're in a hurry, you probably don't have all day to wait for the defrosters to kick in.
- Windshield wiper fluid - Some wiper fluids are intended for winter conditions, so you don't have to worry about the liquids freezing in their lines.
- Shovel - A collapsible shovel will be helpful if your car gets stuck in a pile of snow or if you have to clear a path.
- Gloves, mittens, coat, hat, and other winter clothing - Bundling up before heading out to shovel or look under the hood can make the task more comfortable.
- Blanket - You'll be thankful to have a blanket in your car just in case your car breaks down. Keep warm while you wait for a tow!
- Rock salt, sand, or kitty litter - While a couple of these may sound odd, these coarse minerals help your tires attain traction. All you simply need to do is sprinkle a later of it near your tire's path to get out of a sticky situation.
- Rope or chain - A chain or rope is a great item to have to get your car or someone else's car out of snow.
- First aid kit - It doesn't hurt to have a first aid kit on hand for minor injuries.
- Flashlight - We all know it gets dark out early this time of year. Just in case you stall out at night, you'll be glad to have a flashlight on hand.
- Jumper cables - The cold is one of the biggest enemies to your car battery. If your battery is dead, you'll need these cables for a solid jump.
For all your winter auto maintenance needs, we invite you to bring your vehicle to the experts at Central Import Automotive in Toronto, ON.