Your vehicle's windshield wipers are even more crucial during this time of year. They keep your windshield clear of precipitation and other matters to ensure you see clearly when driving. To preserve and protect your windshield wipers this winter, follow these six essential tips:
- Don't use them as ice scrapers - You may be tempted to "clear" the frost on your windshield by running your wipers, but that's not what they are for. The cold makes your wiper blades brittle, so you could end up damaging them as a result. Instead, you're better off investing in an ice-scraper.
- Add rubbing alcohol to the blades - Doing so can prevent your wiper blades from freezing onto your windshield. You can also raise them if you don't have the solution on you.
- Keep your windshield clean - If you see dirt and grime stuck on your windshield, it can easily get caked onto the blades. Please do your best to keep your windshield clean to preserve the condition of your blades.
- Inspect the washer fluid nozzles - Snow and ice can clog the nozzles that release the washer fluid during the winter. You should check them often and use a de-icer on them if they've frozen over.
- Physically examine and test your wipers often - If your wiper blades look cracked or damaged, they will not be effective at clearing off your windshield. This can be a huge safety concern, so please replace them if they look worn.
- Change to Winter Windshield Wipers - Switching to winter wipers ensures peak visibility during this time of year. Winter wipers are built with heavy-duty materials to resist warping and cracking in extremely frigid temperatures.
If you need assistance with changing your windshield wipers or winterizing the rest of your vehicle, please do not hesitate to reach out to the professional team at Central Import Automotive.