The catalytic converter is a necessary component of your car's emissions system. It plays a part in reducing vehicle pollution and makes our vehicles safer to operate. The "Cat" uses a chemical process to change toxic byproducts from the engine into safer ones before they exit your vehicle.
Before the catalytic converter was established, motor vehicles were emitting significant amounts of pollution into the air than they do now. Thanks to the modernization of cars, driving is safer and less harmful to our environment. Without a working catalytic converter, you and your passengers could also run the risk of breathing in harmful fumes, which can be detrimental to your health.
Catalytic converters are typically made to last the entire lifetime of the car. However, there are instances where they can still clog up or fail. Below are common signs of a failing catalytic converter:
- Reduced engine performance - and it will ultimately bring down your fuel economy with it.
- Rattling sounds - a damaged catalytic converter can be a noisy experience.
- Rotten egg smell - this horrific smell is an obvious sign that your converter isn't working as it should. The smell is most likely due to the lingering sulfur in the system.
- Illuminated check engine light - a faulty catalytic converter will trigger the warning message to come on. Please bring your vehicle to Central Import Automotive for diagnostics.
- Failure to pass an emissions test - a vehicle cannot pass a smog test with a malfunctioning catalytic converter.
As soon as you notice any of the warning signs, we invite you to bring your car into the experts here at Central Import Automotive for an inspection. We will run various tests using state-of-the-art tools and thoroughly inspect your emission system to accurately pinpoint the problem. For reliable catalytic converter repairs, please give us a call or visit today!